Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fun in the Outback. (Finally one by Joel)

We stayed at a Japanese Ryokan, which is a Japanese style room where you sit on the floor and sleep on a futon and no shower in the room. That’s right, no shower in the room. Everyone bathes in a central bath where you have a shower first and then climb into a hot spring tub for a soak. Of course the genders are separated.
The Ryokan is located in Kitakata at the foot of a dam. The scenery in this area is absolutely beautiful. I took a hike up the face of the dam to be met by a technician that seamed upset that I climbed the face of the dam instead of walking up the paved road adjacent to the mountains. I crossed over the dam to the opposite side of the valley and found a small canyon. While hiking up the canyon, I could hear a scratching and cracking sound. I hiked up the canyon in the direction of the sound and after rounding a small bend came to face a small heard of Japanese goats called Sorrow. Before I could get my camera up, three of the four goats disappeared into the brush. I managed to get a photo of the one remaining, but could still hear what sounded like eight in the brush. I decided to leave with the photos I had and hike down the mountain and across dam to the paved road that the technician pointed out.

1 comment:

Beccanaz said...

Joel, Hiking when you do not have to and up a hill. I am impressed. I like the picture. Keep the stories coming. Everyone in California and Texas are enjoying the updated information. Especially since we learn more details of the trip from the blog. Hint hint.
Love you,
Becca